Beach and Marina are located on the
James River, which borders First Colony on the west. The beach and marina facilities are available to current, paid members of the Greater First Colony Area Civic Association. The marina offers boat slips, boat parking, boat launching, a large fishing deck, a gazebo, and a sand beach. The marina was dredged in 2003 and again in 2010, and was completely refurbished in 2004.
Each GFCACA member household is provided with a unique code to the security gate for entry to and exit from the beach and marina. For information about the use of the gate, read the How To and the Frequently Asked Questions here.
The beach comes with beautiful views of the James River, historic
Jamestowne , and awesome sunsets for enjoying with your family, friends, and neighbors. The gazebo at the beach is available for private parties for up to 50 people with prior reservations.
||To reserve the gazebo or get information concerning boat and ramp fees, contact FirstColonyGazebo@gmail.com for fastest reply, else call First Colony Marina at 757-741-8385
We invite all members of the association and their guests to enjoy the beach and marina.
Wind/Water/Weather on the James
The marina and the new fishing pier. The pier was rebuilt in 2012. It includes seating, fishing pole holders, and a bait-cutting table, as well as sweeping views of the James River.
The beach/marina party deck. Many folks gather here almost every day to watch the sun set over the James River.
|First Colony marina is proud to serve as host to the College of William & Mary Sailing Club.
Club members contribute to the community through free sailing instruction and work days. For the schedule of student sailing regattas and other information about the team, click here.
|Rules developed by the community to promote the shared use of the beach and marina are listed below, and cover such things as hours, guests, supervision of children, pets, boat storage, and other important details.
To report use of the marina by unauthorized persons, or mis-use of the facilities by anyone, call Bob Kane (Neighborhood Watch) at 564-0099, or call the police non-emergency number 566-0112.
Greater First Colony Area Civic Association
Beach and Marina Rules
(revised January 2013)
1. Beach and marina are solely for the use of association members in good standing and their guests. Guests must be
accompanied by a member at all times.
2. All vehicles must have the current year membership decal prominently displayed. Any vehicle not displaying a valid
membership decal, or not the vehicle of a guest of an association member, will be considered trespassing and may
be asked to leave the property. Any person using the facilities, who is not a member in good standing or a guest
accompanied by a member, will be considered trespassing and may be asked to leave the property. Any person who
is trespassing may be prosecuted.
3. Guests are permitted within reason. Children (under the age of 21) of members are not allowed to sponsor more than
three guests at one time nor may they reserve facilities.
4. Children under the age of 12 cannot swim unless accompanied by an adult member for their own safety.
5. Fishermen have priority use of the fishing pier. Parties are not allowed on the fishing pier.
6. The party deck is available on a first come basis for groups; however it is the only handicap accessible area of the
beach; please be courteous.
7. Open fires (uncontained) are not permitted on the beach or marina at any time.
8. Swimming is restricted to the designated area (roped-off) of the beach. Swimming in the marina cove is prohibited.
Swimming is at your own risk.
9. Use of the gazebo is by reservation for groups of ten of more. An association adult member is required to be present
at all times during any party at the gazebo.
10. The beach and marina are open from 7am to 11pm each day. Access to the marina after hours to the boat ramp or for
fishing is at the discretion of the beach/marina chairperson. Once closed, persons using the facility without prior
authorization for use beyond normal hours will be considered trespassing and may be prosecuted.
11. Parties shall not disturb neighbors or create a public nuisance.
12. Alcohol shall will not be served to, or consumed by minors.
13. Owners are responsible for animals on the beach, which must be under control, on a leash and cleaned up after.
14. Trash containers are placed at the beach and around the gazebo; members are required to clean up after themselves
and guests. If the trash containers are full, take your trash home for disposal.
15. Persons who do not follow the rules may be asked to leave immediately by authorized representatives of the
association. Failure to do so constitutes trespassing. Continued problems may result in forfeiture of association
membership of the family/household without refund.
16. William and Mary sailing team members may use the marina for practices, work parties, sailing lessons and regattas
as authorized by the committee chair. The sailing team coach shall provide a schedule of regattas and a roster of